The Phantom Foxes

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Phantom Foxes
The Phantom Foxes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Townsville Queensland Australia

2 posters

Go down

Townsville Queensland Australia Empty Townsville Queensland Australia

Post  magssdoc Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Strange how things pan out, when my parents were thinking of immigrating, they had decided on two choices, Calgary in Canada, or Cairns/Townsville in Queensland Australia.
We didn't immigrate otherwise I might have been brought up near one of the most haunted places in Australia.

Charters Towers is south west of Townsville approximately 135km seperate the two towns.

Locals claim that Charters Towers, the second largest of Queensland's towns dfuring the ghold rush is full of ghosts.
Walth came to the town when in 1871, a 10 year old Aboriginal stockboy called Jupiter Mosman, whilst looking for horses that had been scared by a thunderstorm, found instead,
gold in the bottom of a stream.
Charters Towers, grew up to be a beautiful city, now luckily filled with beautiful well preserved buildings of that era.
Nicknamed 'The World' during this time because 'anything one might desire could be had in the Towers, leaving no reason to travel elsewhere.'

Walking through One Square Mile, where some of the lovely buildings are gathered is a start to a trail known as The Ghosts of Gold Heritage Trail.
Built in 1891, World Theatre, started life as the Australian Bank of Commerce.
It was converted to a theatre holding 660 seats, there is also an Art Gallery.
It is haunted by a man who was murdered in 1901. He was a businessman who argued with an associate. The argument was over how much businessman Graham Haygarth should have paid David Brown. Brown pulled a gun and shot Haygarth behind his left ear. Blood is said to have stained the table as it spurted out, staining it until this day.
Brown was hung in Brisban'es Boggo Road Gaol and Graham Haygarth's ghost began to haunt the place of his death, becoming known as the 'Phantom of the Theatre'.

The visitors Information Centre has a film about the history and ghost stories of the town.

Down the road is the Zara Clark Folk Musuem, the volunteers will chat to you about the town's history pointing out the flying fox, usedto send cash across the ceilings of a local store to the cashier, a pair of half knitted socks, where a mother hearing that her son had died in World War I, never finished the pair she was knitting for him.

They will tell you the stories of the past townsfolk who appear in the photographs, such as
Bridget Clancy, who hearing of her Brother-in-law's death in a mining accident, committed suicide by taking cyanide. The love struck woman's cries can still be heard at the Park Hotel.

Find yourself at Ay Ot Lookout house, in search of another ghost, the house built in 1895 is haunted by it's builder and original owner Thomas Smith. Smith is thought to have syphoned off money to pay for the building. Thomas is alleged to have hunt himself in the cellar after loosing the house he loved in a game of cards.
Those taking the tour of have sensed his presence or seen him during the tours that guide you around the house.
The house has been refurbished to it's original grandeur.

This town really believes in giving ghost enthausists value for money, up on Towers Hill in the evening there is an outdoor show called Ghosts After Dark, which tells the story of the local history, it is a tourist promotion but it does tell the tales of the local ghosts along with the colourful characters who had walked the streets of the town.
The editor who still haunts the press room of the Northern Miner newspaper, Thadeus O'Kane was outspoken then so perhaps that is why he still hangs around, checking out the news.
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female
Number of posts : 5289
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

Townsville Queensland Australia Empty Re: Townsville Queensland Australia

Post  Mel_Kim Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:38 am

I think thats a great ideal to put on a show of the local history and ghosts stories etc I wish that would happen over here its a fab ideal I know there is ghost walks etc but if your not good at walking etc you miss out.

I hope that aboriginal boy called Jupiter Mosman (what a fab name) got rich and did not have the money taken from him etc. Thats so sad about those half knitted socks you can just imagine that poor mother. I think artifacts like this with the story behind them brings any war story right home to people as it makes it so personal etc.

Thats not a nice way to die taking cynide and the man who lost his house in a game of cards I bet that went on so much back then I know there been a few historic homes in this country been lost on a turn of a card.
Mel_Kim
Mel_Kim
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female
Number of posts : 3931
Sceptic Or Believer? : Believer
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  magssdoc Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:42 am

I vaguely remember a story where one of the big stately homes was lost on the turn of a card. And also a couple of big ranches were used as ante on poker games.
As you say Mel, I am sure it goes on more then we realise.
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel_Kim Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:09 am

It was really bad for this in the time of Charles II he got so fed up with paying the debts of some of his mistresses especially Barbara Castlemain. In the Georgian period it was bad also but I guess its always gone on and always will even Edward VII was in a scandal over a card game where someone cheated and it went to court etc. I trying to rack my brains for that really famous one where he lost everyting but the old grey matter not helping at the moment it may come to me later. All I keep thinking about is the Earl Sandwich who because he would not leave the card table to eat invent the sandwich we have today bigredgrin
Mel_Kim
Mel_Kim
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  magssdoc Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 am

Mel, I think it may have been something to do with Barbara Castlemaine, I do know that the George Pub in Cowcross St in London has a pawnbroker charter given to it by a King who was gambling and could not pay a debt.
Let me see if I can find the story.
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  magssdoc Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 am

Here's the link! I read another review and it seems the pub has fallen foul of the 'theme pub' god, there used to a mural on the wall depicting what happened

Here's the link to tell you about it.
.www.viewlondon.co.uk/pubsandbars/the-castle-info-10832.html
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel_Kim Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:36 am

Mags the link will not work hun Sad I try and find that pub when I get five mins. I love anything on the Stuarts but especially the time of Charles II bigredgrin
Mel_Kim
Mel_Kim
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  magssdoc Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:06 am

The king was one of the George's, probably 4th, you want to look for
The George Cowcross St Farringdon London.
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down