The Phantom Foxes

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Phantom Foxes
The Phantom Foxes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dakota Apartment Building New York

2 posters

Go down

The Dakota Apartment Building New York Empty The Dakota Apartment Building New York

Post  magssdoc Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:37 am

Now known for the fact that John Lennon was returning home here the night he was shot and killed by Mark David Chapman, the night was Deceber 8th 1980.
His ghost is seen here in the building where he shared a home with Yoko Ono.

But John's is not the only ghost that haunts this apartment block.
It is believed that Boris Karlov famous for playing Frankenstein's Monster in the classic black and white films, who onced lived here, also haunts the building.

Originally called The Dakota after a friend quipped that the new building could easily be in the Dakota terrority because it was so far from the bustle if the inner city being situtated W. 72nd Street. This inspired builder Edward Clark, to name the proposed building Dakota and ask the architect to include western designs.

'The Dumb blonde' actress Judy Holiday also lived in this building, known for her high squeaky voice, the actress, was very gifted and to some extent a victim of circumstances, having been called to answer questions before Joseph McCarthy.
This stumbling block, stopped her from gaining the fame and film parts that would normally have been hers. She had however worked successfully in the theatre and returned there.
She died trajecially young at 44.
Her apartment was bought by a couple who hired men to decorate and put the apartment in order before they moved in.
The workers all had experiences, especially the feeling of being watched whilst working.
Between them they saw the ghost of young boy dressed in the clothes of the early 1900's, a young man and a girls face.

Other apartments, foyer and basement are also haunted with stories associated with them
To add to it's spooky connection, the exterior of the Dakota was featured in the film Rosemary's Baby.

Other famous residents of the building are or have been the following.
Lauren Bacall, Leonard Bernstein, newscaster Connie Chung and husband and talk-show host Maury Povich, sportsman F. Ambrose Clark who was also grandson of the original builder, actor José Ferrer, singer Roberta Flack, actress Judy Garland, actor Steve Guttenberg, dancer Rudolf Nureyev, comedienne Gilda Radner, singer Neil Sedaka, actor Jason Robards, actor Robert Ryan and actor Zachary Scott.

www.gothamcityinsider.com/2007/08/dakota-new-york-citys-most-legendary.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/15-crazy-facts-about-nycs-dakota-building-2015-8

http://www.the-line-up.com/the-dakota-building/

http://jessicajewettonline.com/ghosts-of-the-dakota-building
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female
Number of posts : 5289
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Back to top Go down

The Dakota Apartment Building New York Empty Re: The Dakota Apartment Building New York

Post  Mel_Kim Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:15 am

I enjoyed reading that I have seen the film Rosemary Baby but did not connect that the building was used in the film. Is this not also the building they used for 3 men and a baby? This building is one place I would love to do an invo in can you imagine the ghosts of long dead film stars etc
Mel_Kim
Mel_Kim
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female
Number of posts : 3931
Sceptic Or Believer? : Believer
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

The Dakota Apartment Building New York Empty Re: The Dakota Apartment Building New York

Post  magssdoc Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 am

I don't know about the Three Men And Baby, Mel. I don't think it was filmed there, although that film itself has a load of 'paranormal stories' regarding the boy in the window clip.
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel_Kim Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 am

Mags your probably right about it not being filmed there I was unsure dont know where I got that from bigredgrin As for 3 men and a baby my mate from the USA told me about the ghost of the boy in the film and the story behind it etc so next time it was on tv I looked out for it and both Kev and I jumped out of our skins it was so spooky it gave me the creeps. Only to find out a few years ago on a forum that its not a ghost at all but a cut out of Ted Danson bigredgrin
Mel_Kim
Mel_Kim
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  magssdoc Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 am

There are two stories, one is the cut out of Ted Danson, and there is a boy, he was part of the production crew's son, his reflection is caught in the glass, he looks startled.
I heard that he had gone on the set after being told not too, and didn't want to move until after the shot had been done, because he did not want his dad to get into trouble.
It only came to light when people started to video this film.
Whether this is another of those urban myths I don't know, but Leonard Nimoy directed both films, and it was said that the filming was pretty relaxed so who knows the truth.

www.snopes.com/movies/films/3menbaby.asp
I've just had a look and a few places have this story.
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel_Kim Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:17 am

Thanks mags that was really interesting I had heard the first story i.e. Ted Danson cut out but not about the boy who should not have been in the set etc. Well it said that no house or appartment was used for the interior of the shots so its definately not the Dakota building bigredgrin
Mel_Kim
Mel_Kim
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  magssdoc Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:40 am

As I said the story about the boy could be an urban myth.
Although most believe the filmstudio (Touchstone, which is part of Disney) put the story about to promote the second film. bigredgrin
magssdoc
magssdoc
Phantom Fox
Phantom Fox

Female

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down